Highway Traffic Act

Why is it needed to Yield to Bus?

The law makes mandatory to Yield to Bus. Yield to Bus is a new provincial law designed to improve transit flow and make transit service more reliable and efficient. The new law requires drivers to yield the right-of-way to buses leaving bus bays to merge with the traffic. It is very difficult to keep a bus on schedule when other drivers don’t let the bus back into the travel lane. The new law makes it easier for buses to merge back into traffic and helps to keep buses on schedule. This law improves transit service reliability, especially during rush hours.

What if I drive a taxi or a truck, do I have to yield to buses as well?

Yes. The law applies to “every driver of a vehicle“. That includes cars, taxis, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles and other buses.

What are the child safety seat and booster seat requirements?

Everyone including parents, grandparents, relatives or friends, who drives with a child under the age of 8 who weighs less than 36 kg (80 lb.) and stands less than 145 cm (4 ft. 9 in.) tall is required to ensure the child is properly secured in the appropriate child safety seat or booster seat based on his/her height and weight.

When can a child start using a seatbelt alone?

A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:

  • Child turns eight years old
  • Child weighs 36 kg (80 lbs.)
  • Child is 145 cm (57 ins. or 4 ft. 9 ins.) tall

As a guide, a seat belt may only be used if a child is able to sit with legs bent comfortably over the vehicle seat and with his or her back fully against the back of the vehicle seat. The shoulder belt must lie flat across the child’s shoulder and chest, and should not cross over the child’s neck. The lap portion of the belt should be positioned low over the hips, not the abdomen.

What is the penalty for non-compliance with the child car/booster seat laws?

Drivers who fail to secure or who improperly secure children may be charged and, upon conviction, will be fined $110.00 and have two demerit points applied to their driving record.

What do I do if there are not enough seat belts for the number of passengers I want to carry in my vehicle, i.e. car pooling or taking a group of children out?

Remember, it is the law that the driver and passengers travelling in a motor vehicle must wear a seat belt or be in the appropriate child car seat. You must limit the number of occupants in your vehicle to the number of seat belts – one person, one seat belt.

When I am travelling in a taxi, must I wear a seat belt and must my child be restrained in a child safety seat?

You must wear a seat belt and, in fact, you could be fined for not buckling up. It is the taxi owner’s responsibility to ensure that the seat belt is available and in good working order. The law does not require the taxi owner to provide a child safety seat so it is advisable to travel with your own child car seat.

My car is damaged because of construction on a provincial highway. How can I get reimbursed for my repair costs?

Please mail your claim showing the location, date, time and nature of the incident along with other supporting documentation such as estimates, bills, etc., to the address below. If you wish to fax your claim, you must follow through with a mailed copy.

Ministry of Government Services
Risk Management Insurance Services
700 University Avenue, 6th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2S4
Tel: 416-314-3445
Fax: 416-314-3444

How do I report potholes on our highways?

If you wish to report the location of potholes or other highway maintenance problems, contact the Ministry District Office in your area. Please note that the ministry is responsible for the maintenance of provincial highways (401, QEW etc.). For local or regional roads, contact the municipality involved. See the Blue Pages for the telephone numbers. To file a complaint about potholes or general road conditions call MTO INFO at 416-235-4686 or toll-free at 1-800-268-4686. (TTY: 905-704-2426 or 1-866-471-8929). For up-to-date information on current highway conditions due to weather or construction, please call Road Information toll free at 1-800-268-4686 (TTY: 1-866-471-8929) or in the Toronto calling area 416-235-4686 (TTY: 905-704-2426).